IDCC 380 Blog Spring 2008

Monday, May 5, 2008

Content, Look & Feel

Content

The information in my Dream Site is very simple and straight-forward. From the home page you can find pretty much anything you are looking for. The pages are labeled very simply, so it is very easy to tell what each page entails.

The Spring Day Policies page has all of the rules and policies that the college enforces and puts into effect on Spring Day. Some of these policies differ from the normal day-to-day policies on campus, so it seemed very important to include this in the Web page. This page also includes the guest contract that all students need to fill out if they are registering a guest on campus for the day.

The Competition Rules page is both an informational and gateway page. On this page itself, you can get the general rules that apply to each of the competitions held on Spring Day. You can also get to individualized pages for 3-on-3 Basketball, Float-A-Boat, Harry's Hill Climb, 9v9 Kickball and Volleyball. Each of these pages has individualized rules for each competition and the basketball, kickball and volleyball pages also include the brackets for the tournaments.

The Concert Page was used for CAB to announce the acts for the Spring Day concert and the Spring Day Schedule has the entire itinerary for the day so people could find out when and where everything is happening. The Pictures Page was "under construction" until after the day happened when I made a flash slide show and posted pictures that my friends took from the day.

Look & Feel

The look & feel of this page came from validated CSS and W3C XHTML. The colors of the page were picked from the posters that CAB already ordered. Since CAB tries to pick a theme and stick with it when advertising for an event, I decided to keep these colors for the Web page. In looking at other Web sites, it was hard to find a site designated to a specific event. I know that CAB's Web page only offers a brief one to two sentence description of each event and I needed to do better than that. Even when I was looking at sites that were for an event, I was not able to find any that went into as much depth as I wanted to go into so it was hard to find a site I wanted to resemble mine after. Even though it was frustrating when looking for a site, it did work out a bit to my advantage. Instead of making the page fancy with lots of flash and clutter, I wanted to keep the site simple so it was easy to navigate and find whatever information on was looking for.

When it came to creating the navigation bars, I decided to go with a side navigation bar that I built with CSS Tab Designer 2. I debated using Visual Infinite Menus, but since I hope this site will get used in the future, I decided that was not feasible since that software can only be used for this class. In addition, with the exception of the separate competitions, there was no other second-tier pages.

As mentioned above, I did not pick my color palette, I used the one that was picked by the Spring Day Committee and Jason Feldman, who designed all of the posters, towels and backstage passes for the day. Due to having everything else already designed, I decided not to make a banner for the page. I thought about doing one, but I was not able to use any of the images that had already been designed, so I decided to use a simple header for this year's site.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home